Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Sail Canoe

Well, as you found out in the previous blog, Jane11 has been away on a business retreat for the past 9 days... Last weekend we went down to Cohutta Springs Camp for the weekend. While we were there we took one of the canoes out on the lake. The wind was quite brisk and I couldn't stop thinking about the possibility of making a sail for one of the canoes. The thought kept running through my head throughout the week and so by Thursday I decided to attempt to build a sail.I ran to Lowes and purchased less than $10 worth of plastic pipes, plastic sheets, rope and tape and threw together a quick collapsible sail.

Friday afternoon I drove back down to Cohutta to spend the weekend again with Jane11 (since she was still at the retreat). On Sabbath after lunch we found a canoe and I set out attaching the mast to the boat. It worked perfectly! The sail wasn't quite big enough... and the wind wasn't strong enough. But for brief periods of time we were actually sailing! We sailed from one end of the lake to the other (and then had to paddle back). :)

It was lots of fun though, and I can't wait to finally try out my sailboat (hopefully sometime soon).