Friday, May 11, 2007

The End of My Solar Dream

Check out my previous attempts at harnessing solar energy.

I came to the sad realization last night that solar energy isn't really going to save us much money. I started crunching the numbers and the best deal on a solar panel (dollars per Watt) would cost me $280 for a 60W panel. That would provide plenty of power to run 4 or 5 fluorescent house lamps for approximately 4 hours each night.

However, since these are already energy efficient, the long-term savings isn't all that much. I estimated that we'd only save $10 - $12 per year by taking those lamps off the grid (based on the current price per kilowatt and the predicted usage each year). That means it would take us nearly 30 years to pay off the $280 solar panel from the benefits we'd be gaining from it... and then it would be time to buy a brand new panel again!!! Not worth it in my estimation (at least according to my math).

I think the larger the solar setup the more practical it is. Getting those bigger energy hogs (AC, stove, water heater, fridge, etc...) off the grid is where you really save big bucks. Simply taking a few low-wattage fluorescent lamps off the grid isn't going to do a whole lot.

However, if we were living out in the jungle, miles away from the nearest power grid, I can imagine that a 60W solar panel would come in VERY handy, and a 400W array might actually be worth the investment.

Anyway, as much as I was looking forward to getting into the world of solar energy, I just can't seem to convince myself (or Jane11) that it's really worth it to pursue the solar energy dream any further. We'll probably save more money each year by simply adjusting the thermostat 1 degree warmer this summer (and cooler next winter).

I still plan to continue to keep my little 1.5W solar panel hooked up to our emergency backup battery to keep it topped off in preparation for the next unexpected blackout...

~

WHAT I'D REALLY LOVE TO HAVE...

Having already been somewhat inspired by my parents (who are successfully "off the grid" for about 8 - 10 hours every day with their solar setup) I was emailed today a link to a friend's blog and their superb solar farm! Wow! Their power meter is actually "running backwards".

And then I was checking out the No Impact Man blog (one of my latest favorite blogs), and he's gone solar as well.

Here's another good solar option.
~